Venture for America is committed to building a team of diverse professionals passionate about our mission. We look for the same qualities in a full-time position as we do in our Fellows. Qualities that distinguish successful entrepreneurs include:
- Intellect and Independent Thinking
- Determination/Ability to Surmount Obstacles/Resourcefulness
- Leadership Ability/Initiative
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
Venture for America (VFA) is a non-profit organization that seeks to 1) Drive talent to create jobs and spur enterprise in lower-cost cities; 2) Provide a path to entrepreneurship for young, talented college graduates; and 3) Help place recent graduates in start-ups around the country. Venture for America will do for entrepreneurship what Teach for America has done for education provide a program for young, talented grads to spend 2 years in the trenches of a start-up with the goal that these young graduates will become socialized and mobilized as entrepreneurs moving forward. Board members include experienced executives, entrepreneurs, and investors. For more information, go to www.ventureforamerica.org/team.
Venture for America is seeking our next team member to join us in our mission to revitalize the country through entrepreneurship.
We’re currently seeking someone to serve as a first-point-of-contact for current Fellows in the program, helping resolve and manage challenges, keeping in touch with them personally, planning events in their cities, and tracking and reporting to help improve how we train and develop them as young professionals and future entrepreneurs. There’s a lot to get done, and a lot of opportunity to take ownership over projects and innovate on what we’re doing.
- Are very intuitive, and possess a high processing speed
- Only need to ask how to do something once (maybe twice)
- Feel there is no task too small
- Are a top-notch phone, in-person, and e-mail communicator
- Are adept at delivering tough feedback constructively
- Have 1-5 years cumulative work experience
- Can laugh at yourself from time to time
- Give everything 10% more than it requires
- Know a few things about startups and students
- Have a BA/BS
What you’ll do:
- Serve as the first line of defense/routing system for all Fellow needs and issues
- Coach and help solve minor challenges, and work with the team to craft solutions to more substantive problems
- Create and improve on materials that can help Fellows tackle common problems, from professional to personal
- Develop and manage an in-city events and programs schedule for each VFA location
- Write, speak, and travel (occasionally) with passion and purpose
- Contribute/pitch in to all aspects of VFA, from selection, to summer training camp, to Fellow programming, to fundraising
The good stuff:
- High performers at VFA are given substantial opportunity to grow and develop
- You’ll make a competitive salary
- We have health, dental, and vision benefits
- You’ll suddenly have less trouble getting out of bed and going to work in the morning
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the email should be ”Application for Program Manager – [your name].” If you meet our qualifications, we will contact you for a phone interview.
Venture for America is looking for Campus Ambassadors at universities across America to help us generate awareness and interest among prospective applicants on campus. If you want to learn more about our program, this is a great way to get plugged in!
This is an unpaid internship for the 2013-2014 school year. However, there are several perks including:
- A guaranteed phone interview for the Venture for America fellowship, if you choose to apply
- Exposure to start-ups
- Lots of VFA swag
- The satisfaction of knowing you helped drive our nation’s talent to growth companies across the country!
Campus Ambassadors will be tasked with:
- Raising awareness through flyers, listserv/email campaigns, Facebook, Twitter, and other online and offline initiatives
- Developing partnerships with on-campus student organizations and faculty members
- Assisting with on-campus Venture for America events
- Brainstorming innovative online Venture for America marketing campaigns
- An enthusiastic, energetic personality
- Interest in startups and entrepreneurialism
- A strong work ethic
- Involvement in student organizations and extensive knowledge of college networks
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest to email@example.com. The title of the email should be “Application for Campus Ambassador – [your name].” If you meet our qualifications, we will contact you for a phone interview.