Venture for America is committed to building a team of diverse professionals passionate about our mission. We look for the same qualities in a full-time position as we do in our Fellows. Qualities that distinguish successful entrepreneurs include:
- Intellect and independent thinking
- Determination/ability to surmount obstacles/resourcefulness
- Leadership ability/initiative
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Purpose-driven/high character
Assistant to the CEO
We’re currently looking for someone to support our CEO and Founder Andrew Yang in all things. From scheduling and emailing to supporting fundraising and event planning efforts to helping Andrew prioritize and handle the tasks that most require him, there’s a lot to get done, and a lot of opportunity to grow within the role and organization. For the right person this is a very impactful opportunity.
- Are intuitive and possess a high processing speed
- Only need to ask how to do something once (maybe twice)
- Are extremely organized and feel there is no task too small
- Are a natural writer and speaker
- Can laugh at yourself from time to time and have thick skin
- Give everything 10% more than it requires
- Have a BA/BS and experience in a professional environment
What you’ll do:
- Manage Andrew’s calendar and activities, including contacts, calls, meetings, speaking engagements and anything else that comes up
- Handle travel planning and logistics for everything from nationwide recruitment tours to press to VFA summer Training Camp
- Support fundraising efforts by coordinating meetings and follow ups, and researching prospective donors
- Get to know and build relationships with VFA supporters
- Serve as a filter, helping handle some of the communications and tasks that can take things off Andrew’s plate
- Write and speak with passion and purpose, projecting confidence and doing a great job of representing VFA
- Travel occasionally to VFA cities and accompany Andrew to meetings
- Contribute/pitch in to all aspects of VFA as needed, from selection to training to office logistics
- Support periodic publication and activities related to ‘Smart People Should Build Things’
- Serve as aide to CEO and founder of growth organization
Some things to look forward to:
- High performers at VFA are given substantial opportunity to grow and develop
- You’ll earn a competitive salary
- We have health, dental, and vision benefits
- The team is really fun, and we’ve worked with some not-so-fun teams, so we know
- You’ll suddenly have less trouble getting out of bed and going to work in the morning
How to apply:
- Send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Assistant to the CEO Application – [Your Name]”:
- A written description of why you want to join VFA’s team and what value you’ll add (think cover letter, but less boring)
- A resume
We’re currently seeking a highly motivated young professional to join us on our small but growing marketing team. We’re looking for an energetic, savvy, do-it-all comms and marketing guru who’s ready to dive in and help show the world how awesome VFA is.
- Are a professional or recent grad with experience in communications, marketing, writing, social media, or related.
- A perfectionist who has next-level organizational skills and detail-orientation. Typos make you sick.
- Can prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Feel there is no task too small.
- Not only have very strong writing skills, but you love doing it. Have the ability to produce compelling content quickly in the VFA brand voice, tell a story, and adapt your writing for different audiences.
- Have an eye for design, and strong skills in editing, proofreading, layout, and/or web publishing.
- Comfortable with social media and able to identify opportunities and channels for sharing content and engaging our audiences.
- Have good instincts. Only have to ask how to do something once (maybe twice).
- Have strong values alignment with VFA and our Team. Passionate about what VFA is doing and wants to share it with the world.
- Experience with design platforms, photo, and video editing is a huge plus.
What you’ll do:
- Work with different teams to create the high-quality content and materials each needs to accomplish its goals (including reports, press releases, blog posts, presentations, event messaging, e-mail campaigns, announcements and more).
- Design and update compelling collateral and materials for multiple departments (with a primary focus on Programs and Development).
- Manage VFA’s blog and social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, and more) to amplify our message to the right audiences.
- Coordinate and execute PR/media initiatives.
- Produce and source content to tell the stories of our Fellows, companies, and cities.
- Be a gatekeeper and help ensure that everything VFA puts out there is on-brand and well-designed.
- Help with other comms and marketing initiatives as needed (website updates, e-mail marketing, and more).
- Create a system to keep VFA’s media organized. Occasionally capture photos or video footage at VFA events.
The good stuff:
- You’ll work in a fast-paced environment where no two days are the same.
- We have fun, and laugh A LOT.
- High performers at VFA are given substantial opportunity to grow and develop.
- You’ll make a competitive salary.
- We have health, dental, and vision benefits.
- You’ll suddenly have less trouble getting out of bed and going to work in the morning.
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing Associate – [Your Name]”:
- A message about why you want to join VFA’s marketing team (your first chance to wow us with your writing and storytelling!)
- A resume
- Feel free to include a few relevant work samples that make a case for why you’d be a great fit
Community Marketing Intern
We are building out a national internship program in communities across the country and are looking for enthusiastic, entrepreneurial undergraduate students to join our team for the 2014-2015 academic year. As a member of our internship program, you will receive benefits exclusive to those in the VFA network. The position is unpaid, but comes with a ton of perks.
The good stuff:
- Automatic advancement to the phone interview round of our Fellowship application
- Access to the Fellows and VFA Team
- Online skills development and educational resources
- Exposure to our network of startup company partners and the latest updates from VFA HQ
- Performance bonuses for meeting set marketing and Fellowship application goals
- Pride in knowing you are driving our nation’s talent to growth companies across the country!
What you’ll do:
- Develop partnerships and facilitate introductions with relevant student organizations and influential faculty members
- Create and execute a holistic marketing plan that raises awareness about VFA and drives applications on your campus
- Promote, participate, and at times lead marketing events at your university and in your community
- Brainstorm innovative initiatives that VFA could host, sponsor or co-host with a community partner. This could include pitch competitions, hackathons, product challenges, panel discussions, skill sessions, and more.
Who we are looking for:
- An undergraduate student at one of our 90+ target universities
- An energetic, enthusiastic person with a strong work ethic and interest in startups
- A creative thinker who’s able to work independently and take initiative
- A connector who will proactively partner with student organizations and influential faculty
- You can construct a marketing plan that ranges from events to e-mail to social media
- You are organized, reliable, and able to commit at least 5 hours a week, including 2 weekly office hours